Temple History

Home / Gallery / Temple History

Temple History

The Johannesburg Melrose Shree Siva Subramaniar Temple (Melrose Temple) was founded circa 1897 by indentured Tamil labourers working in the Melrose Laundry, north of Johannesburg. The Temple that initially started out as a tin shack was extensively renovated in 1996 and then again in 2011. The Melrose Temple is now a beacon of Murugan worship in South Africa and the world and has a a congregation in excess of 20,000 devotees.

The Melrose Temple is dedicated to the worship of Lord Muruga, his consorts, Valli and Deyvani, his Parents, Lord Siva and Mother Parvathi and his Brother, Lord Vinayager. The Melrose Temple also houses a Temple for Lord Perumal, the brother of Mother Parvathi and Anjenair the most loyal devotee of Lord Perumal.

The Melrose Temple serves its congregation through the Annual Prayers as reflected on the Tamil Calendar, Navagraha Prayers, Car Prayers, House Prayers, Panchangum (book) readings, performing of Weddings, blessings and counseling by the Resident Priest and Spiritual Head.

Comments are closed.