Dear Devotees, at all times and especially in this uncertain period, we want to assure you that your safety and well-being is of utmost importance to us at the temple. The recent Covid19 virus pandemic is spreading rapidly across the world and claiming many lives. All attempts by everyone must be made to reduce the transmission of this disease.
The Johannesburg Melrose Shree Siva Subramaniar Kovil would like to share a few basic tips to be adhered to when at the temple and or in public places:-
- Avoid direct contact with other devotees/people i.e no shaking of hands, kissing or hugging. Rather use our own traditional way of greeting, Vannakum/Namaste.
- Wear a face mask covering your nose and mouth at all times when in public.
- Stand 1-2m away from devotees who are coughing, sneezing or ill
- Avoid touching objects that are shared with others and then touching your face, eyes or mouth
- Cover your nose and mouth during coughing or sneezing with a disposable tissue or by using your elbow
- Washing your hands thoroughly and regularly with soap and water or an alcohol based solution
- Elderly persons and devotees with chronic conditions are advised to avoid public gatherings
- Avoid crowded places such as malls, cinemas and restaurants
- Improving airflow in living spaces at home by opening windows and doors
- Reduce use of public transport such as trains/buses or taxis
- Minimise local travel and avoid international travel if possible
- Seek medical attention if you have flu-like symptoms, recently travelled internationally or been in contact with a positive Covid19 person.
In addition, after deliberation and advice from our temple elders and in keeping with our State President’s State of Disaster declaration, the Board has decided in the best interest of devotees to implement the following measures:
- Suspend Sunday Bhajan service until further notice
- Suspend large temple prayer gatherings that appear on our temple calendar. (These prayers will be conducted by Guru and our Stannigars at the temple on a smaller scale. Devotees are encouraged to rather observe these auspicious prayers at home)
- Discontinue performance of houseprayers and or large group prayer meetings outside the temple premises until further notice
Our Johannesburg Melrose Shree Siva Subramaniar temple will however remain open during normal operating hours for spiritual worship, consultations and guidance from our Guru.
Devotees are welcome to come and receive our Lords’ divine grace and blessings.
If you have any queries, please do not hesitate in contacting Guru Dayalan and or our Chairman, Mr Maganathan Padayachee
Mikka Nandri… be safe and stay well!
The Board of Directors
Johannesburg Melrose Shree Siva Subramaniar Temple